PJ Goes to Camp - Summer of 2016
Note: Grants for students who attend a Jewish Day school are limited. We distribute those grants through a lottery that was held during the first week of November, 2015. Although we do not anticipate having additional day school student grants available, day school students who apply after 11/8/15 will be placed on a waiting list.
INCREASING YOUTH ATTENDANCE AT JEWISH CAMPS is a goal of the Harold Grinspoon Foundation (HGF). That is why, in partnership with the Foundation for Jewish Camp (FJC), HGF has designed a program to encourage families to send their children to Jewish overnight camp for the first time.
PJ Goes to Camp is a funder of FJC's One Happy Camper program. PJ Goes to Camp offers incentive grants of up to $1,000 towards first time camp tuition for PJ Library participants, siblings, and alumni.
Learn More about the Program
Please read the information that follows to find answers to most questions about PJ Goes to Camp and/or One Happy Camper. If you have questions that are not listed on this page, please contact PJ Goes to Camp by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 413-276-0735. If you call, please note that the large number of calls makes it likely that you will be asked to leave a message on a voice-mail system. Please leave a phone number AND e-mail address where you can be reached.
HOW DOES THE PROGRAM WORK?
PJ Goes to Camp is one of over two dozen funders of the national One Happy Camper program. These national funders coordinate first time campership grants to maximize the number of children across North America who receive a grant. In many communities the One Happy Camper partner is the local Jewish Federation. The PJ Goes to Camp Program is actually two related, but separate programs.
Program 1 - Regional program for public school students: This program provides grants to campers who attend public and non-Jewish private schools. These campers, or their siblings, must be or have been a recipient of PJ Library books. PJ Goes to Camp provides campership awards primarily to campers who live in regions where there is no other local funding partner. In communities or regions where there is an alternative funding partner, campership grants will likely be awarded by that partner rather than the PJ Goes to Camp program. Where a camp provides a financial incentive to a first time camper, the PJ Goes to Camp program will not also award a PJ Goes to Camp incentive to that camper. Although there are basic program regulations that are common to all participating regions, each region may establish its own sub-set of rules - an example of which is the minimum length of a qualified camp session. PJ Goes to Camp neither sets nor over-rides regional rules. A camper cannot receive grants from both the local partner and PJ Goes to Camp. It is not necessary for you to determine who your funding partner is. When you submit a request for a PJ Goes to Camp referral code, we will identify if a local funding partner is responsible for grants to your community and inform you how to proceed. Please note there are communities which are no longer a participating sponsor of the One Happy Camper program. PJ Goes to Camp does not provide grants in these communities.
Program 2 - National program for students who attend a Jewish day school: This program provides grants to children who attend a Jewish day school (or Yeshiva) anywhere in North America. Because the demand for these grants exceeds the available funds, these grants are awarded through a lottery that is held in early November. Some local communities also provide grants to day school students and PJ Goes to Camp will direct your application to your local funding agency should that be appropriate. The lottery for the 2016 camp season was completed on November 8, 2015.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
To be eligible to receive an incentive award, a camper must be:
1. a PJ Library subscriber, alumni or sibling of PJ Library subscriber or alumni who was enrolled in PJ Library on or before September 1, 2015.
2. a resident in a community that is currently or has never been a participating supporter of the One Happy Camper Program. (Residents of a community that withdrew from the One Happy Camper program are not eligible for a PJ Goes to Camp incentive.)
3. attending a non-profit Jewish overnight camp in the summer of 2016 for the first time. First time campers are children who have not attended a Jewish overnight summer camp in this or any prior year for 12 consecutive days or longer.
4. registered for camp (listed on www.onehappycamper.org/findacamp) prior to submitting their application for a PJ Goes to Camp incentive award. Campers must be enrolled for a 2016 summer session to be eligible for these incentive awards.
Incentives are available to residents of the United States and Canada who meet all other eligibility requirements. Families may enroll more than one child if each is attending camp for the first time. Each child must be separately entered into the lottery for day school students.
PJ Library children fortunate to live in a community that sponsors a One Happy Camper program will be directed to their community program prior to being considered for a PJ Goes to Camp incentive. Previous recipients of a PJ Goes to Camp or any other One Happy Camper incentive are not eligible to receive an incentive for the 2016 camp season.
PJ Library children who live in specific areas of Western MA, Northern CT, or Southern VT may be eligible for special campership incentives directly from the Harold Grinspoon Foundation. Please check at www.hgf.org for regional camperships.
JEWISH DAY SCHOOL GRANTS:
Children from throughout North America who currently attend a Jewish day school and who otherwise qualify for a PJ Goes to Camp incentive are eligible for a LIMITED NUMBER of PJ Goes to Camp day-school incentive awards. Because of the high demand for these awards, they are distributed by lottery. Please read the section below titled "HOW TO APPLY - Campers who attend Jewish day schools" for special application requirements for day school students. Day school students interested in receiving a PJ Goes to Camp incentive must register for the lottery through www.onehappycamper.org by November 8, 2015 to be eligible to receive an incentive grant for the summer of 2016.
Previous recipients of a PJ Goes to Camp of any other One Happy Camper incentive are not eligible to receive an incentive for the 2015 camp season.
WHICH CAMPS ARE INCLUDED?
All of the more than 150 non-profit Jewish overnight camps in North America listed on Foundation for Jewish Camp's website.
HOW MUCH MONEY ARE THE INCENTIVES?
The PJ Goes to Camp grants will be awarded to first-time campers attending a camp listed on www.onehappycamper.org/findacamp. Incentive awards are $700 for a session of 12 to 18 consecutive days or $1,000 for a session of at least 19 consecutive days. Grant awardees who do not attend camp for 12 or more days (for any reason) will forfeit their grant and grant amounts will be adjusted for campers who attend camp for less than 19 days but more than 12 days for any reason.
PJ Goes to Camp grants awarded through the One Happy Camper program are paid directly to the camp in the camper's name. Funds are distributed to participating camps monthly beginning in April, 2016. Camps are required to verify that each recipient meets all eligibility requirements (including, but not limited to, first time camper status and length of stay) prior to the payment being made. They must also verify the camper attendance.
ARE THERE RESTRICTIONS?
- This is a general incentive program, and is NOT based on camper financial need.
- Campers may receive only one incentive campership through the One Happy Camper program or the Harold Grinspoon Foundation. If the camper receives an incentive from another One Happy Camper sponsor, or directly from their camp, they are not eligible for a PJ Goes to Camp incentive.
- Some communities do not participate in this program. To find if your community participates, visit the www.onehappycamper.org website.
- There are a limited number of PJ Goes to Camp incentives for 2016. Please read the section on "How to Apply" for details regarding the application process.
This is a general incentive program, and is NOT based on camper financial need.
Campers may receive only one incentive campership through the One Happy Camper program or the Harold Grinspoon Foundation. If the camper receives an incentive from another One Happy Camper sponsor, they are not eligible for a PJ Goes to Camp incentive.
There are a limited number of PJ Goes to Camp incentives for 2016. Please read the section on "How to Apply" for details regarding the application process.
How to Apply
All applications for PJ Goes to Camp incentives are processed through the Foundation for Jewish Camp's One Happy Camper Website.
One Happy Camper applicants will be requested to provide a PJ Goes to Camp referral code.
1. Request a PJ Goes to Camp / One Happy Camper referral code: As part of the registration process you will need a PJ Goes to Camp referral code. Referral codes are distributed to individual campers through the following processes:
- Campers who attend public or non-Jewish private schools: Applications for PJ Goes to Camp incentives on behalf of students who attend public schools and non-Jewish private schools are submitted through the One Happy Camper website. The One Happy Camper website is scheduled to activate for the 2016 camp season during the week of October 18, 2015. Applications for PJ Goes to Camp will continue to be accepted on a "first-come, first-served" basis until all available incentive grants are awarded. Campers are encouraged to apply as soon as possible to assure availability of the limited incentive funds. For the summer of 2015, our funds were fully committed to campers by mid-February.
You will be required to enter a PJ Goes to Camp referral code as part of your online application. PJ Goes to Camp referral codes will be available beginning October 1, 2015. A PJ Goes to Camp Referral Code can be obtained by completing a referral code request at: www.pjlibrary.org/pjgtc/referralcode . Because it may take up to a week for the camper's eligibility to be confirmed and the code returned to you by e-mail, please plan your registration time accordingly. Please DO NOT call or E-mail the PJ Library office to obtain your PJ Goes to Camp referral code. Requests received in these manners will not be honored.
The PJ Goes to Camp referral code you receive will be unique to your camper. Each camper must request and submit a unique referral code. Duplicate or multiple uses of a referral code will invalidate all applications with that code.
- Campers who attend Jewish day schools: Because there is greater competition for grants by campers who attend Jewish day schools, these incentive grants were awarded by lottery that was held on November 10, 2015.
Wait List: To be placed on the day school student waiting list, please complete a request for a PJ Goes to Camp referral code at www.pjlibrary.org/pjgtc/referralcode. By indicating your child attends a Jewish Day School you will be placed on the waiting list. Because so few students decline these grants, it is unlikely that students on the waiting list will receive a grant. Please do not call or write to find the status of your child on the waiting list.
2. Complete the One Happy Camper application at www.onehappycamper.org. All grants are awarded through the One Happy Camper program so you MUST complete the One Happy Camper on-line application to receive a PJ Goes to Camp grant. As part of this application you will be asked to enter the PJ Goes to Camp referral code that you were provided.
Each child must be entered separately for the lottery and once awarded, incentives are not transferable.
In case of dispute, the Harold Grinspoon Foundation reserves the right to resolve issues about PJ Goes to Camp incentives awards and the day school camper lottery.
Apply via One Happy Camper
The PJ Goes to Camp program is a funder of the national One Happy Camper program. You do not need to have a PJ Goes to Camp referral code to apply for a One Happy Camper grant, but having a referral code assures that non-day school students will receive this grant (as long as other program requirements are met). Once you have received a PJ Goes to Camp referral code - either as a result of the day school lottery or through the public school application process, you MUST complete your program application at the One Happy Camper website.
PJ Goes to Camp is a funder of the One Happy Camper program. Program guidelines and restrictions of the One Happy Camper program will determine incentive eligibility, award and payment procedures within the limits of the One Happy Camper program. The Harold Grinspoon Foundation reserves the right to limit the number of PJ Goes to Camp incentive grants that are awarded through the One Happy Camper program and to determine eligibility of applicants based on available funds for each category of incentive award. It is the responsibility of the applicant to assure that their application is complete and submitted within the time restrictions specified by the program and that they meet all eligibility and camp attendance requirements of the program. The Harold Grinspoon Foundation will be the final determiner of an applicant's PJ Library related eligibility as well as for determining the recipients of awards granted through the lottery system. In case of dispute, the decision of the PJ Goes to Camp director of the Harold Grinspoon Foundation shall be final.
Back to Top