PJ Goes to Camp
The demand for PJ Goes to Camp incentive grants for the summer of 2014 has been overwhelming. We have distributed first-time camper incentives to 466 children who will be attending camps throughout North America. This overwhelming demand for first time camper incentive grants caused us to extend our original commitment of 300 camperships several times. At this time, all new requests for PJ Goes to Camp incentives for the summer of 2014 will be placed on a waiting list. To be placed on the waiting, FIRST TIME CAMPERS who meet all PJ Goes to Camp qualifications (see below) should send the parent's name, child's name, camp and a phone number where they can be reached to: PJGTC@hgf.org.
Incentives for the summer of 2015 will be awarded to campers who attend a Jewish day school by lottery. The lottery drawing will be held on November 15, 2014. Watch this website page for information on how to register for the 2015 day school student lottery.
INCREASING YOUTH ATTENDANCE AT JEWISH CAMPS is a goal of the Harold Grinspoon Foundation
(HGF). That is why, in partnership with the Foundation for Jewish Camps
(FJC), HGF has designed a program to encourage families to send their children to Jewish overnight camp for the first time.
PJ Goes to Camp is a funder of the FJC's One Happy Camper program. PJ Goes to Camp offers incentive grants of up to $1,000 to offset first time camp tuition for PJ Library participants, siblings, and alumni.
Learn More about the Program
Find answers to your questions below. For additional information about PJ Goes to Camp and/or One Happy Camper, please contact PJ Goes to Camp by sending e-mail to pjgtc@HGF.org or by calling 413-439-1935.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
To be eligible to receive an incentive award, a camper must be:
1. a PJ Library subscriber, alumni or sibling of PJ Library subscriber or alumni who was enrolled in PJ Library on or before September 1, 2013.
2. attending camp in the summer of 2014 for the first time. First time campers are children who have not attended any over-night summer camp in this or any prior year for more than 19 consecutive days (12 days for camps in 13 Western states.)
3. registered for camp prior to submitting their application for a PJ Goes to Camp incentive award.
PJ Library children fortunate to live in communities whose federations sponsor a One Happy Camper program will receive a grant from their community sponsor rather than from the PJ Goes to Camp program.
PJ Library children who live in specific areas of Western MA, Northern CT, or Southern VT may be eligible for special campership incentives directly from the Harold Grinspoon Foundation. Please check at HGF.org for regional camperships.
WHEN MUST CAMPERS ATTEND?
Campers must enroll in the summer of 2014 to be eligible for these incentive awards. Campers are required to attend camp for at least 19 consecutive days or longer; 12 days for longer in the 13 Western states of Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.
WHICH CAMPS ARE INCLUDED?
All of the more than 150 non-profit Jewish overnight camps in North America listed on Foundation for Jewish Camp's website.
HOW MUCH MONEY ARE THE INCENTIVES?
The PJ Goes to Camp grants will be awarded as follows:
- $1,000 for a session of at least 19 consecutive days for all included camps.
- $700 for a session of at least 12 consecutive days ONLY for attendance at camps in Western States which include AK, AZ, CA, CO, HI, ID, MT, NM, NV, OR, UT, WA, and WY.
ARE THERE RESTRICTIONS?
This is a general incentive program, and is NOT needs based.
Campers may receive only one incentive campership through the One Happy Camper program or the Harold Grinspoon Foundation. If the camper receives an incentive from another One Happy Camper sponsor, they are not eligible for a PJ Goes to Camp incentive.
There are a limited number of PJ Goes to Camp incentives for 2014. Please read the section on "How to Apply" for details regarding the application process.
How to Apply
All applications for PJ Goes to Camp incentives are processed through the Foundation for Jewish Camp's One Happy Camper Website
As part of the registration process you will need a PJ Goes to Camp referral code. Referral codes are distributed to individual campers through the following processes:
- Campers who attend public or non-Jewish private schools: Applications for PJ Goes to Camp incentives on behalf of students who attend public schools and non-Jewish private schools will be accepted at the One Happy Camper website beginning at noon Eastern time on Wednesday, November 6, 2013 and will continue on a "first-come, first-served" basis until all available incentives are awarded. In prior years these incentives have been available for several weeks after the opening of the registration period.
You will be required to enter a PJ Goes to Camp referral code on the first page of your online application. To be notified of the PJ Goes to Camp referral code necessary to complete the application, e-mail your request for the code to: firstname.lastname@example.org at least a week in advance of the November 6th opening of the PJ Goes to Camp.
- Campers who attend Jewish day schools: All 2014 PJ Goes to Camp "Day School" Incentive Grants have been distributed and we are no longer accepting sign-ups for the lottery. At this time we do not anticipate any additional funding.
Applicants who are granted incentive awards as a result of the lottery will be sent their unique PJ Goes to Camp registration referral code by return e-mail no later than November 15, 2013.
Families who are not awarded PJ Goes to Camp incentives will be notified and be placed on a waiting list should additional incentives become available
Each child must be entered separately for the lottery and once awarded, incentives are not transferable.
In case of dispute, the Harold Grinspoon Foundation reserves the right to resolve issues about PJ Goes to Camp incentives awards and the day school camper lottery.
Apply via One Happy Camper
To apply, use the link below. Enter you PJ Goes to Camp referral code on the first page of your online application. To request your referral code please email, email@example.com.
PJ Goes to Camp is a funder of the One Happy Camper program. Program guidelines and restrictions of the One Happy Camper program will determine incentive eligibility, award and payment procedures within the limits of the One Happy Camper program. The Harold Grinspoon Foundation reserves the right to limit the number of PJ Goes to Camp incentives that are awarded through the One Happy Camper program to determine eligibility of applicants based on available funds for each category of incentive award. It is the responsibility of the applicant to assure that their application is complete and submitted within the time restrictions specified by the program. The Harold Grinspoon Foundation will be the final determiner of an applicant's PJ Library related eligibility as well as for determining the recipients of awards granted through the lottery system. In case of dispute, the decision of the PJ Goes to Camp director of the Harold Grinspoon Foundation shall be final.
Back to Top