Music Selection Committee
EACH YEAR IN DECEMBER, PJ Library sends music in the form of an audio CD to each of the families enrolled in the PJ program. The music is selected by a dynamic committee of professionals and parents who receive numerous submissions each year.
To learn more about the music selection process -- or to submit music to the committee for consideration -- read through the sections below:
Our Music's Audience
PJ Library families are raising Jewish children between the ages of 6 months to 8 years. The families come from rural, suburban, and urban environments. They also come from many backgrounds -- some are intermarried, some have little or no formal Jewish learning, some attend a synagogue and celebrate Jewish holidays, and others may be unfamiliar with Jewish practice.
While The PJ Library program is open to all Jewish families, the committee focuses primarily on unengaged families when making selections.
Music Selection Guidelines
As the Music Selection Committee reviews Jewish children's music for PJ Library, it asks:
- Is this music suited for children between the ages of six months and eight years?
- Are the music and lyrics engaging for young children (and their parents)?
- Is the music fun?
- Is the music appropriate for families of varying levels of Jewish engagement or observance (or differing Jewish beliefs)?
- Does the music and its lyrics reflect the contemporary Jewish experience of diverse families?
- Will this music deepen understanding about Jewish life?
- Is the audio CD a high-quality production?
In order to best appeal to our audience, the PJ Library program does not send out music that:
- Is entirely Hebrew.
- Is primarily prayer.
- Is aimed at an audience older than 8 years of age.
- Is part of a "package," requiring or including supplemental materials (i.e., multiple CDs, accompanying books, curricula, etc.).
Music Submission Process
Music that meets all of the above criteria can be submitted to the PJ Library Music Selection Committee for review by using the following two-step process:
- Complete and submit the electronic form (see link immediately below). Upon submission of the form, you will receive an e-mail confirming its delivery.
- After you receive your e-mail confirmation, please print a copy of the submission form and mail it, along with two copies of your CD to:
PJ Library Music Selection CommitteeOnce your CDs have arrived, we will send another confirmation to your e-mail address.
67 Hunt Street, Suite 100
Agawam, MA 01001
The Music Selection Committee reviews all complete and eligible submissions. There may be several months between the date of submission and review by the committee. If your CD is selected for further review, you may be asked to send additional copies.
PLEASE NOTE: Due to the high volume of submissions received, we are able to contact only those artists/agents whose music is selected. Please do not contact PJ Library to check the status of your submission.
Back to Top